Any impressions? CommonSense Audio
Experience the magic of fullrange loudspeakers!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 
  GamesGames   

Any impressions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CommonSense Audio Forum Index -> Audio Nirvana Amplifier
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sammy1776

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love an update for 2014 from owners of the AN Amp.
4krow

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I still own the AN amp., so that in itself might tell you what I think. I have not changed anything since, except to buy some new tubes (GE) from Antique Tube Supply(hope that I got that right). Andy, who is the owner might well be one of the best in the business, and selected each tube himself. Now the reason for this purchase was simply to keep me in good supply of tube stock. Having said that, I now use the GE tubes in the amp while others stand by. I don't really expect failure anytime soon, but like to cover my bases. The only thing worth mentioning is that I did add some tantalum resistors to the input of this amp. I did this because I am using an outboard buffer of sorts that has some gain of it's own. Now, back to the amp. My opinion hasn't really changed. I like this amp very much. Have I owned better? Only one set of mono blocks that were very expensive, with much less power. Maybe an apples to oranges comparison anyway, as they were power amps, not integrated. My mind never wanders when it comes to other stuff out there. Believe me, I have owned a mountain of quality equipment in my time, and only a few products do suffer the loss of. I don't want that to ever be the case here also. I believe that you may have mentioned that you wanted an amp that was built around the drivers to go with it. I couldn't agree more! I AM thinking of buying another set of AN drivers, but for now the budget says that I need a new roof instead. Yah, I have owned a couple sets of AN drivers. An 8" Standard set to sell to a customer, and a set to tide me over while I waited for a very expensive set of drivers. They were the Alnico 8" cast drivers sold here, and fortunately, I had the opportunity to compare them to the Decware FRX2 drivers that I was waiting for. More on that in the speaker forum.
Sammy1776

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Its here! Reply with quote

Ok,so i ordered my 6V6 amp & speakers from Commonsense in the US and had them in Australia in about a week,shipped by FedEx.I bought the 6V6 Ultralinea amp and AN Super 10 AlniCo's.I was going to buy bigger but my room is just to small.So the 10's are perfect for my size room(apartment)

The packaging is excellent a lot better than i thought it would be.

The amp weighs a ton and looks a lot better and bigger than in the pictures.I got the flat black one.The quality is obvious right off the bat.No crappy plastic here,its built strong -my analogy is a "stealthy audio tank"!

Unfortunately i wont have a chance to check the sound out until the cabs are built.I'm having my cabs built out of a very hard and dense 15mm bamboo ply.Its expensive but it looks(once sanded and lacquered or waxed) and sounds great,its very hard.This is a major purchase for a working class man like me,so i want to look and sound great for many many years to come.I'll post some pictures of the build and add some thoughts once Ive heard the system.All the best.

A quick shot!

Last edited by Sammy1776 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
4krow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: NEW AMP Reply with quote

They really do look great! People comment on mine a lot. It has class.
Sammy1776

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: NEW AMP Reply with quote

4krow wrote:
They really do look great! People comment on mine a lot. It has class.
yeah,the quality blows me away.My brother has an amp that cost alot more than this,and its nowhere near, as well built,even the dials are a metal composite . All the connections on the back are strong and nothing moves or wobbles,like on cheap builds(even if the cost alot to buy).

I'll keep folks updated with my build.

And for those here,researching AN gear,if you have any questions drop David(owner of commonsense audio)an email,he answered all mine in a day or so,and i sent him ALOT of emails(at least twenty by the time of sale).

all the best from Australia
4krow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Quality Reply with quote

No doubt, this amp has build quality rarely seen these days. I'm not trying to tempt anyone to pop the bottom cover, but if you did, you would see the same high quality inside. Even the point to point wiring is nearly artistic. Wires aren't just bent to please, they have very specific bends at angles that are pre-determined. As I have stated in the past, there honestly isn't anything that cries out for an upgrade here.
Sammy1776

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Quality Reply with quote

4krow wrote:
No doubt, this amp has build quality rarely seen these days. I'm not trying to tempt anyone to pop the bottom cover, but if you did, you would see the same high quality inside. Even the point to point wiring is nearly artistic. Wires aren't just bent to please, they have very specific bends at angles that are pre-determined. As I have stated in the past, there honestly isn't anything that cries out for an upgrade here.
You sold yours didn't you?why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CommonSense Audio Forum Index -> Audio Nirvana Amplifier All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: